American Civil War & Reconstruction Curriculum Unit
This item is a comprehensive CURRICULAR UNIT (GOOGLE version included!) about the US Civil War and Reconstruction Era that integrates reading and literacy. There are 8 complete lessons included in this bundle PLUS supplemental activities. This unit includes about 8 weeks of materials. I will be adding an audio of each passage soon!
THIS UNIT CAN BE USED AS A STAND ALONE CURRICULUM. This can be used as homeschool curriculum, too.
The 8 lessons included in this unit bundle are:
♦Causes of the US Civil War
♦Major Battles of the US Civil War
♦The North & South US Civil War
♦Abraham Lincoln US Civil War
♦Key People of the US Civil War
♦Political Impacts of Reconstruction
♦Economic Impacts of Reconstruction
♦Social Impacts of Reconstruction
Limited on copies or paper? Every component of the individual lessons listed below are ready-to-go on GOOGLE slides, so you can easily assign to your students! The quizzes and unit test are also available on GOOGLE Forms, and I include explicit directions on how to assign and tweak (if desired) for your students. The quizzes and unit test are also self-grading!
This unit includes:
• 8 PowerPoint presentations that can be used to facilitate discussion or have students take notes
• 8 slotted notes pages so students can focus on recording the important information from the PowerPoint presentations (which includes carefully curated videos & links that will enrich the lessons) Editable slotted notes included!
• 8 informational reading passages about the American Civil War & Reconstruction
• 32 activities (4 per lesson) (key terms, dates & events, significant items, significant people, political cartoon, geographical connection, and a literacy connection) Three of the four activities PER lesson have two levels: a basic recall and an application of knowledge.
• 8 quizzes
• GOOGLE slides of all components
• 8 GOOGLE Form self-grading quizzes, unit test, & modified unit test
• 8 graphic organizers
• editable study guide with answer key
• editable unit test with answer key
• editable modified test with answer key
• teacher's guide with suggested pacing map
•audio of each reading passage, quiz, and unit test COMING SOON
• You can download the FREE 4 Reconstruction Era stations
Specific reading skills in this unit are: relationships in a text/cause & effect; text structure; central ideas & summary; citing textual evidence & making inferences; unknown words & phrases; and integrating multiple sources of information.
You will be easily integrating reading with your social studies content because the 8 graphic organizers focus on one specific reading skill per organizer, AND students will be analyzing primary documents. I have also included a RAFT task that culminates the simulation. RAFT stands for role, audience, format, and task. It helps give students an authentic writing scenario.
Teaching Experience- 17 years
Education- Oglethorpe University BA Education; Walden University MEd Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment; ABD Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment; Gifted Endorsement; On-Line Teaching Endorsement; Administrative Leadership Certificate
Blogger & Creator- www.brainyapples.com; Teachers Pay Teachers: Brainy Apples- Heather LeBlanc, LLC
StartLesson 1: Reading Passage
StartLesson 1: Note Taking Reading Passage
StartLesson 1: Graphic Organizer
StartLesson 1: PowerPoint
StartLesson 1: Slotted Notes
StartLesson 1: Editable Slotted Notes
StartLesson 1: Activities
StartLesson 1: Primary Source Analysis
StartLesson 1: Interactive Notebook Activity
StartLesson 1: Quiz